School and Elder Gardens
HGEL designs and implements standards-based garden programs to primary and secondary schools as well as activity appropriate lessons for elder care centers. Same approach applies – we teach staff and volunteers the secrets of running a successful and enriching outdoor experience for your students, young and old alike. Please contact us for pricing information.
DID YOU KNOW THAT A SURVEY OF LAUSD SCHOOLS REVEALED THAT 71.4% OF SCHOOLS WANTED TO START A GARDEN PROGRAM? THOSE SCHOOLS LISTED THE LACK OF TECHNICAL ASSISTANCE, LINK TO CURRICULUM AND PARENT INVOLVEMENT AS THEIR LARGEST BARRIERS IN GETTING STARTED.
HGEL is ready to help your school break through those barriers. Here’s how!
Stakeholder Training Workshops
This package includes:
A series of four – two hour intensive stakeholder workshops for up to 25 attendees which will cover:
Three of the four workshops in this series include a ‘hands-on’ lab component and includes workshop syllabi and lab materials. The series is priced at $3500.
A 4 months Gardening Season (165 hours) of “live” “on-the-job” training in your own school garden which includes:
- Shadowing HGEL instructor during “live” classes with sample HGEL lesson plans,
- opportunity for client stakeholders to then lead a lesson,
- site visit to client school for site evaluation and recommendations,
- design of beds with planting and irrigation plans
- instruction on budget and garden calendar management
HGEL’s Turn-Key Gardening Season Program:
HGEL’s staff of certified Master Gardeners manages, maintains and staffs your garden program for both fall and spring sessions (approx 8 months weather permitting = 270 hrs
or 2-‐5hr. days/wk).
• Soil management each season
• Supply procurement (plant materials and routine supply costs ARE included. Irrigation, repairs or installation of beds or hardscape are NOT included)
• Interface with principal, teachers and staff to ensure continuity and curriculum integration
- Primary Schools: K-5 $1500
- Secondary Schools:
• Conduct HGEL lesson plans (proprietary)
• Garden maintenance
• Year end garden clean up
These Gardening Season packages are priced individually depending on the scope of work and needs of the school. Please contact us to schedule a free consultation. A customized proposal will be prepared exclusively for your school.
Our toolkit “Learning from the Ground Up” which is complete with
- a step-by-step guide to starting a school garden,
- “How to” tips covering building support for your garden through fundraising and corporate donors, marketing your program as well as how to design your own lesson plans based on the standards and,
- sample lesson plans to get you started.
Priced at $350
HGEL Standards-based Garden Lesson Plans
Middle School – 6-8 $750
High School – 9-12 $1000
Every school is unique. The programs listed above will be customized to fit your school’s needs. Please contact us to schedule your consultation today